These attributes are known as “credence outcomes”. These outcomes aren’t evident in the products themselves but they contribute to how products are grown. The CLM management system provides a platform where these attributes can be evaluated, monitored and continually improved. This provides consumers with a guarantee that products produced under a CLM certified production system, have these values at the forefront of the producers management program.
The CLM standard is based on ISO14001 management processes with outcomes demonstrating continuous improvement and support for biodiversity.
The ISO14001 management standard has three major advantages.These are:
- It is internationally recognised and desirable for export dependent industries.
- It is relatively easy to audit against and
- Because it is based on improving the impacts of management activities it forces attention to the mainstream managerial determinants of performance.
Certified Land Management is an integrated set of planning processes and on-ground activities. It has a unique combination of features which include:
- Helps landholders improve productivity, risk management and environmental and animal welfare outcomes and verifies the landholders' environmental and animal welfare credentials so their achievements and those of their support organisations can be recognised and rewarded.
- Integrates environmental and animal welfare with broader productivity and risk management considerations.-
- Is whole-of-farm so that it can be used to certify all land management and animal welfare activities on the farm.
- Is landscape linked because each farm is not an island.
- Is not prescriptive so the particular features of each property can be taken into account.
- Is externally audited and it complies with internationally recognised management standards hence enabling local, national and international recognition.